Friday 13 June 2014

Book Review: All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti

About the book: A new life and a new identity can't protect Becca from a past that refuses to go away.
After spending years running from the shame her father put on her family, Jayne is determined not to let him steal her future in the same way he stole her childhood. Changing her name to Becca Morrow, she moves to California and settles into a new life and new job caring for ailing mother of handsome young businessman, Isaac Hughes.
But just as she's wondering if she and Isaac are headed for a relationship, Becca's patient passes away under unusual circumstances. Suddenly, her past catches up with her and the unnerving details of her heritage threaten to destroy all sense of home and all hope for love.

Even if she could clear her name, a phone call wraps a suffocating shroud around her heart. Her estranged father needs her help. But can Becca open her new life to the man who ruined her past?

My Thoughts: As far as I can recall, I've never read anything by Cynthia Ruchti before, but after reading this novel, I'll definitely be looking for more of her books.  This was just such a well-written story and I could not put it down - I was so swept away by the storyline and completely invested in the character's lives and how things would play out.

I particularly appreciated how sensitively the author handled the topic of dementia, and the importance given to the value of all human life.  She wrote in such a way that made the characters seem completely authentic as we watched them grapple with numerous issues including adoption, faith, healing, euthanasia, forgiveness, responsibility, and the struggle to find out what it is that makes us who we are.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.



Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails