Monday 17 March 2014

Book Review: The Bargain by Stephanie Reed

About the book: Book one in the Plain City Peace series.

It's 1971, and Betsie Troyer's peaceful and predictable life is about to become anything but.

When their parents flee the Amish, nineteen-year-old Betsie and her seventeen-year-old sister Sadie are distraught. Under the dubious guidance of a doting aunt, the girls struggle to keep the secret, praying their parents will return before anyone learns the truth-a truth that may end all hopes of Betsie's marriage to Charley Yoder.

My Thoughts: I admit that I had grown tired of the standard Amish novels, but this one was different than the rest.

I really enjoyed watching Betsie's thought process as she struggled with the differences between the Amish and English lifestyles and what she personally thought, not just what she had been taught to think.  I liked that it stressed the differences in theology as well, not just lifestyle.  There certainly are Amish believers, but in general, the Amish do not believe that you can have assurance of salvation, which is contrary to biblical teaching.

Interesting read!

Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails