Monday 27 August 2012

Book Review: One Call Away by Brenda Warner


About the Book: Brenda’s life has taken twists and turns that are stranger than fiction. It always seemed as if she was just one phone call away from the next explosive change. Each time her plans fell apart, she had a choice: would she give up, or would she press forward and learn from the unexpected? One Call Away is the inspiring story of a woman who has prevailed through many of the circumstances that discourage women: tragedy, poverty, betrayal, and humiliation. But unlike most women, her life has been on display in the media.
Brenda’s faith and God’s strength enable her to face challenge after challenge: an accident that leaves her son blind and brain damaged, a crumbling marriage, a tornado that kills her parents, a new relationship with promising football player Kurt Warner, and the pressures his sudden success brings to their growing family.
Through food stamps and funerals, Super Bowls and serving others, Brenda’s strength is unwavering. Her determination to dream new dreams, willingness to learn from her mistakes, and commitment to giving back to her community make her a role model for women of all backgrounds.
Her dreams haven’t materialized as she had imagined, but Brenda has found that God has a much bigger plan for her. Conversational and candid, One Call Away invites readers facing their own difficulties to trust God and discover hope in the future.
My Thoughts:  I like football (though I do prefer the CFL over the NFL, eh) and I like autobiographies, so this book was very appealing to me from the get go, and I was not disappointed.
I was captivated by Brenda's incredible story and how she did not allow her circumstances to crumble the tenacity of her faith.  I love how candid she is about her mistakes, and the way she faced adversity head-on.  She seems like such a down to earth woman that anyone would be proud to call friend.
I did find that throughout the book I had some questions that were not answered, but overall, I really enjoyed this look into the life of someone who is much more than just another rags to riches gal.

Thank you to the Booksneeze program for providing me with my complimentary review copy of this book.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails