Thursday 26 January 2012

Book Review: Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey

About the Book:  It is August 1944 and Paris is on the cusp of liberation. As the soldiers of the Third Reich flee the Allied advance, they ravage the country, stealing countless pieces of art. Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable one of all, the Mona Lisa, as a post-war bargaining chip to get him to South America. Can Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler rescue DaVinci's masterpiece before it falls into German hands?

With nonstop action, Chasing Mona Lisa is sure to get readers' adrenaline pumping as they join the chase to save the most famous painting in the world. From war-ravaged Paris to a posh country chateau, the race is on--and the runners are playing for keeps.

Read an excerpt, watch a video and find out more here.

My Thoughts: I have to admit that this was not one of my favourite books by Tricia Goyer.  I found the names hard to keep straight (not sure if it was because they were foreign names, too many names, too similar, or a combination of all 3) and found that the storyline got a bit bogged down in the details at times.

That being said, I found the art history fascinating, as I had no idea that these masterpieces, especially the Mona Lisa, had been so at risk - though upon further reflection, that should have been obvious! But I'm not an art aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, and was completely ignorant about this fascinating aspect of wartime reality.

I loved the premise, enjoyed the characters, but thought the overall story was a bit of a letdown to my expectations based on previous novels by Goyer.

Thank you to Stephanie and Amy from Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails