Monday 11 October 2010

Genuine Thanksgiving - Because I Have Been Given Much

I've already written a few Thanksgiving posts this weekend, and I was basically going to just post a Thanksgiving picture and call it a day today, but then I read my cousin Tammi's post and thought it was so perfect and I just needed to share it with you all.



Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of Thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from Thee
With ev'ry brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed, by Thy good care,
I cannot see another's lack and I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
My roof's safe shelter overhead,
That he too may be comforted.

Because love has been lavished so upon me, Lord,
A wealth I know that was not meant for me to hoard,
I shall give love to those in need ~
Shall show that love by word and deed;
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

~ Grace Noll Crowell

That last verse always gets me.

Sometimes I think we content ourselves with simply SAYING thanks. We seem to believe that meeting the minimum requirements of the command to "in everything give thanks" is doing our full Christian duty. But these lyrics indicate ~ and I think Scripture bears this out ~ that if we're really truly grateful for the good things in our lives, most importantly our eternal security and satisfaction guaranteed by the redeeming blood of Christ that spares us from God's just wrath, there will be a genuine out-pouring of love for others manifest in our words and acts of kindness. That we will seek to be a blessing to others in the same ways God has blessed us.

On this Thanksgiving Day, let's remember that thanksgiving isn't just between us and God ~ it should affect (and INfect!) those around us, too. Not just in our words on this specific day, but LIVED OUT in our everyday lives throughout the next 364 as well.



Post stolen from Tammi at Laughing at the Future

2 comments:

tammi said...

Great post! ;)

I'm honoured you felt it was worth passing along.

Jen said...

Great post :)
Also Happy Thanksgiving :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails